A Boo's Treat Christmas Special
|A Boo's Treat Christmas Special|
|Announce Date||December 2016|
|Release Date||December 12th, 2016|
|Medium||Clickteam Fusion 2.5|
A Boo's Treat Christmas Special is a successor to Boo's Treat and Boo's Treat GOLD, both of which are catch the falling object minigames that were published back in 2003 by Pedigree. Although this successor was created as a throwback joke, it came with its own share of bells and whistles that were new to the series.
In A Boo's Treat Christmas Special, you play as Boo and must avoid the light at all costs while you collect the presents and candies that inexplicably fall from the sky. The goal, to set new high scores.
- A randomized playlist of 9 haunting (royalty free) Christmas tunes courtesy of composer Myuuji on YouTube. Though they are all compressed as Ogg Vorbis files, a version with one song is available for those concerned with filesize.
- Options! You may change the volume of the music and sound effects in the game directly.
- Warnings! An audible and visualwarning to let you know that light is incoming and where it will be flooding in has been added. You may turn this off in the options for an additional challenge and to double all score gains.
- Online highscores!
In this version, controls are handled solely with the keyboard and are as follows:
- Move Boo and scroll through options with the arrow keys. If you get caught moving in the light after it fades in completely, you will take damage!
- Remain still as Boo to hide and become invulnerable. However, when you're hiding you can't collect any items! In addition, you may move off screen and warp to the opposite of the screen!
- Confirm selections with enter.
- Press Esc within the level to end the level and proceed to upload your score. You don't have to kill yourself to keep your highscore!
- Recovers 1 HP. Adds 150 to your Score. Score is doubled if you are at full health.
- Recovers 2 HP. Adds 250 to your Score. Score is doubled if you are at full health.
- Adds 200 to your Score.
- Adds 600 to your Score.
- Adds 500 to your Score. Increases your multiplier by 1, up to a maximum of 5. The multiplier affects the frequency and speed of light flooding in as well as damage taken, item speed and score received for collecting items. However, taking any damage reduces your multiplier back to 1.
A Boo's Treat Christmas Special has an average rating of 7/10 with one review counted. Consensus in the review and forum thread is that the game is too easy and repetitive.
The below features were scrapped because the game was only relevant for the holidays and there wasn't much interest overall in the project from both Pedigree and MFGG's members.
- Compatibility with gamepad inputs.
- Compatibility with the MFGG High Score service.
- Probably won't be able to work on these until after the holidays.
- Additional powerups such as a temporary speed boost.
- Additional obstacles to overcome.
- Higher quality graphics and additional animations.